Five Tips for Tornado Safety:
- If you are in a house without a basement: Go to the center of the house to a small room or space. Closets. Stairwells. Bathtubs. These are the places you should go if you need to take shelter. After a tornado, you will see slabs of cement nearly wiped clean, with closets still standing. Be as close to the center of the house as you can. Of course, if you have a basement, go there, but many in the south do not have basements.
- If you are outside: lie down in the lowest area you can find. Keep as far from vehicles or trees as possible. Protect your head with your hands.
- If you are in a mobile home or a vehicle: GET OUT!! THEY ARE DEATH TRAPS. According to Tornado Hunter, you will almost certainly be safer if you get out, even if there is no shelter to run to. The only exception is if you are in a vehicle and the tornado is clearly far away and not coming toward you. If it does not seem to be moving right or left, it is coming toward you. Never try to outrun a tornado. Do not park under an overpass.
- If you are in a huge building like a church or mall: STAY CALM. Move to the center of the building away from windows. If you can’t find a small room, get under a bench or other sturdy object.
- Stay away from windows and DO NOT OPEN THEM TO EQUALIZE THE PRESSURE. You will waste time, it probably won’t help, and you could be hurt by shattering glass.
And here is my favorite little freebie that I picked up from hearing many stories. Don’t go to a shelter barefoot! Always have shoes or sandals or slippers. If a tornado hits, there will likely be broken glass everywhere.
And take your cell phone AND charger. Communication is a nightmare after tornadoes.
Okay! I hope I am not scaring anyone on this spring day. I just saw a rainbow outside my window!
The winner of yesterday’s contest is Dorcas, who posted on the blog post at 10:51 am. No last name was entered, but I did send an email to the email address attached to the entry. If your name is Dorcas and you did not get an email, it isn’t you!
And here, once again are the links to the books I mentioned. If you are considering purchasing Shatterproof or one of the other books I mentioned in yesterday’s post, here’s your chance! Click the book to see more, or look at yesterday’s post where I describe them. These links are good for 24 hours.
This post contains affiliate links.